Whitney Port's Tips For Stylish Summer Fashion and Advice For Packing for the Whole Family
I recently sat down with Whitney Port, former star of The Hills, fashion designer, influencer, and mom to one-year-old Sonny.
Port has teamed up with Marshalls to share everything the store has to offer in the way of summer fashion, beauty, and travel.
Marshalls is one of my all-time favorite stores because it is the one-stop shop for everything I need. From stylish name brand clothes, to kitchenware, to toys and clothes for my kids, it has it all.
Check out my interview with Whitney below:
Why did you decide to partner with Marshalls? I love Marshalls. I have one on my corner and right before this event I walked my son Sonny to the store and picked out a bunch of things and I love it because they have so many designer things at such great prices. This top is Cynthia Rowly and it was $20! It’s just such a great resource for me when I don’t want to spend so much on fashion pieces. They also have a really great beauty section, home section and fashion section which is great because we are all about to go out of town and need lots of stuff.
What do you see trending for summer, fashion wise? Lots of prints! I love the fruit fruits prints or conversational prints. I recently bought be som this cute set that has all different types of veggies on it. Lots of pastels. Obviously I think florals are always big for summer. Also, any kind of washed denim and colored denim, I just got a pair of baby pink jeans that I think are really cute.
When I pack for vacation I tend to assume a different personality and sense of style. Is that the same for you? 100% Especially when I come to New York, I feel like no rules apply and I can wear whatever I want and be crazy an no one cares. I definitely feel that way. I’m going to Italy and Prague this summer with my husband and I am so ready to take out this like Italian European outfits.
Are there things that you look forward to wearing particularly during the summer months? Yes, my jean shorts are my uniformed or any kind of frayed denim. Easy rompers are great because you don’t have to style a whole look and you can throw on a denim jacket over it. I love really slowly loose dresses that I can wear with sneakers or scrappy sandals.
Has your style changed since becoming a mom? I was so excited once I felt like myself again and feel good in my own skin and wear what I wanted to wear. I don’t think my style has changed but I think the amount that I get dressed up is just less. Sometime I spend a whole Sunday in what I wore to bed, the amount that I’m pulling myself together is less, but when I do pull myself together I feel like I have the same style. I don’t feel like I have “mom style” now.
So you have a favorite outfit that you like to put Sonny in? Anything that’s easy. I actually really envy those moms who dress their kids up every day in these fully styled outfits, it takes a lot of effort and energy to plan their outfits. But anything that’s a cute easy onesie with easy access to his diaper is ideal.
Tips for moms for pacing for the whole family? I think it’s all about less is more and making a list of what you need of what you need before you get crazed and have to do everything last minute. Having really easy, light accessories is really good to. Investing in a stroller that is is lights and collapses easily is great. And don’t put so much pressure on yourself. Chances are if you forget something you will be able to grab it wherever you are.
Also, check out Whitney's lifestyle tips for summer:
1. When it comes to summer travel, a stylish weekend bag is the ultimate accessory for a beach getaway because it can double as a carry-on and a tote to hold all of your beach essentials. Marshalls has a great selection of high-quality, brand name travel items like leather weekender bags and carry-on luggage in fun prints, and cute luggage tags that make travel prep both easy and stylish.
2. The summer weather can really take a toll on your skin and hair. Whether you’re hopping on a plane or hitting the beach, make sure you stock up on your essential beauty products to keep your skin and hair feeling hydrated and fresh.
3. Whether you’re planning a party at home or headed to the beach, pick-up entertaining essentials like serve ware, pool floats, towels and outdoor games. Opt for seasonal towels with bright colors or patterns that match your backyard décor, adding a fun element to your summer BBQ. Marshalls is my favorite destination to pick-up finds ideal for hosting!
4. When it comes to summer style, I love a look that plays on patterns. Florals and stripes are fun to mix around, but the key to making them work together is an element that balances everything out, like fun shades in a pop of color.
5. Beach days are a must in the summer! To elevate your beach-ready style, try a chic one-piece bathing suit and experiment with accessories like a cross body bag and a statement summer hat or classic straw style. Marshalls is my go-to for on-trend, warm weather looks at incredible prices.
6. When I think of summer vacation, quality time with family, relaxation and long walks are just a few things that come to mind. To ensure you’re prepared for anything, pick pieces that pack double duty and can take you from the beach to a night out in minutes! Opt for denim shorts or on-trend embroidery for a stylish day-to-night look.
7. For a fun summer look, try a flirty little loose dress with a great floral print. To add some edge, pair it with sandals in a similar color for a memorable, monochromatic look.
8. For a fresh, low maintenance beauty look, opt for a little tinted moisturizer with SPF, waterproof mascara and bold nail polish. For long flights or road trips, toss a hydrating sheet mask in your makeup bag for on-the-go pampering. I’m always amazed at the surprising finds and ever-changing selection of products at Marshalls, especially in the beauty aisle!